Aloha AulaniHelping you make the most of your stay.
Makiki Joe’s Beach Rental
Makiki Joe’s is a beach-side kiosk where you can rent or borrow items you might want at the beach. You will need to show your room key to borrow anything. Bring a credit card or be prepared to charge to your room because they don’t accept cash. All rentals must be returned by 5pm each day. Aulani has not updated their signs, so while their sign states that you can borrow sand toys, that isn’t accurate right now.
Free to Aulani guests:
- Life Jackets
- Boogie Boards
- Umbrellas: these are the big ones already set up out on the beach, they won’t hand you one.
- Huge Connect 4 equipment – Currently not available
- Ping Pong paddles/balls – Currently not available
- Sand toys – Currently not available
- Canoe ride ($119/pp, children under 3 are free with paying adult)
- Snorkel Set ($25/day, with access to Rainbow Reef)
- Stand up paddle board ($45/hour)
- Beachside casabella 2 seat lounge chair with individual awnings ($80/day)
- Hawaiian Sailing Canoe Adventure ($119/pp, children 3 and under are free with paying adult)
While you can rent snorkel gear here, it’s not a good deal. You can go to the nearby Costco or Target and buy a set for less money and use it for the length of your stay. Also, Aulani frowns on you taking the gear outside of the lagoon, so don’t rent it expecting to use it over at Hanauma Bay. It’s unlikely anyone would actually say anything, but the cast member emphasized “You’re not supposed to” when I asked about that.
The same goes for boogie boards. While free, these aren’t supposed to leave the lagoon and they need to be returned by 5pm, although they didn’t say what happens if you are late. While the loaner boogie boards are great in theory if you plan on staying in the Aulani lagoon, there really aren’t any waves, so it’s kind of pointless. If you are planning on leaving Aulani for other beaches, consider making a stop at Target and picking one up there, they aren’t expensive and you don’t have to worry about getting it back by 5:00.